Thursday, September 18, 2008

Applesauce Cake and JoAnn

I knew before I married Brian that I was going to have some pretty big shoes to fill in the kitchen. My mother-in-law JoAnn is like the queen of the kitchen. I never visited their home without being offered something to eat and let me tell you it was always wonderful food. I have to admit I think she spoiled her baby boy just a bit (but thats okay I wouldn't have him any other way).
JoAnn was diagnosed with a brain tumor in the summer of 2001 and passed away in August of 2002. It was a devastating blow to our family. I miss her everyday. I have to admit when I hear some of my friends talk about the witches they have for a mother in law I just cringe and it makes me sad. I was blessed with the best mother in law in the world. She wasn't just the mother of my husband---she was my friend. She taught me so many things about being a good wife and mother. Life just isn't the same without her in it.
One of the great things she used to make for us was applesauce cake--it just happens to be one of Brian's favorites. After JoAnn passed away Brian wanted me to make it for him. Just one problem. I didn't have her recipe for it. I talked to both of his sisters and they didn't have it either. So I started searching through recipe books and trying out different recipes. Finally, after much trial and error I came up with the one I use today. Then came the frosting. Nothing I came up with tasted like hers. One day I thought oh well I don't know what else to try but I have to ice this cake with something so I just made a simple powdered sugar frosting to put on it. That day I was also out of vanilla so I used a little maple flavoring instead. That night when Brian came home from work and tried the cake he was like---this is it Lisa--this is just how it tasted. Woohoooo! I was thrilled! So I'm sharing my recipe with you today. Enjoy!!!



Old Fashioned Applesauce Cake
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. soda
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 cup applesauce
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 cup raisins or chopped dates (optional)
Combine all ingredients and pour into greased loaf pan. Bake 55 minutes at 350 degrees.
For frosting I just combine melted butter, powdered sugar, a little bit of milk and maple flavoring to taste.

1 comment:

Kyle & Shanna said...

That looks really good. I might have to try to make it. Haha, apparently I need to learn how to cook soon because he doesn't know how. Haha, oh well, bring on the challenge.