Tuesday, October 14, 2008

No Trespassing!

So I'm up on my soap box today as you can probably tell from the title of this blog. My last blog dealt with Kade and hunting for ducks. . . .well now he has moved on to geese. However, he hasn't been nearly as successful. . . . they have been quite elusive to him. He and Eric Showalter decided they were going to set up some goose decoys in our field and try to lure the geese in that way.

They got up early yesterday morning (like 5:30 a.m. which is way early for boys that age....lol) and drove down to set up the decoys in the field. When they got there they found two people already set up in the field with decoys. Kade went and asked the people, "Do you know whose ground this is?" They reply, "Yeah Brown's." Kade asked, "Do you have permission to be here?" The man says, "I don't need permission. I was raised in this area. My name is _____________ and anyway the property isn't posted." Kade tells him, "You don't have permission and you need to leave this is private property." The guy says, "We aren't leaving. You don't own this property." Kade says, "I don't own it but I'm part of the family that does." The guy says, "No you aren't and we aren't leaving. Go ahead and call the cops." When Kade called me back and told me this I was furious. Brian knew who the guy was when Kade told us the name. So I called the sheriff and ask him to meet us down there and Brian and I went storming down there. We yelled from the road for the guy to leave they just sat there in their blinds. By this point in time we were boiling mad so we drove out into the field where they were set up.

Brian proceeded to ask them why they hadn't left when they were asked to. They tried to give us the same song and dance about the property not being posted. So I gave them a copy of the proclamation to read that explained they were clearly in the wrong and should have left when Kade asked them to. Bottom line. . . .they figured Kade was a kid and they didn't have to leave.

Since it was a "local person" who had been raised here I let them off easy this time. . . .with only a written warning from the sheriff.

I guess the guys biggest gripe was that I didn't have the property posted. Its going to be posted soon. I think the signs will read, "TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT! SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN! Do you think people will get the hint then? You know if the guy had called and asked me before he went chances are I probably would have let him go. But he ruined what was supposed to be a good morning for Kade and Eric and that really made me mad. I just get so tired of people who think it is their right to trespass on other people's property. Okay.....I'll get off my soap box now.



2 comments:

Kyle & Shanna said...

Wow, that sounds frustrating. I would imagine that stuff like that is even harder in an area like where we life because everyone knows everyone and so they assume that using everyone else's property is ok. I am sure your sign will be very effective.

Maydi said...

I love this story! We have had the same trouble in past years, people driving up and down the road and going where they want. A few years ago dad parked a tracker and hayrack on the bridge so they couldn't get back through...they weren't so smug when they got caught and couldn't get out. I love your sign your posting.