Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Human Pincushion

Tuesday I took Kade to Ogden for a physical that is required before he turns in his mission papers. What an experience! Kade and I were sitting in the exam room with Dr. Merkley going through the paperwork that is required. I had taken Kade's immunization record down with us and I really did think he was up to date on all of his immunizations with the exception of a TD booster. Vaccination #1....TD booster. Kade was exposed to chicken pox so many times and never did get them that I finally had him vaccinated. What I didn't know was that they now give that in two doses and Kade had only had the one. So he needed the second dose of that and then apparently when I was doing the Hepatitis vaccinations I only did Hep B for some reason so he had to have Hep A vaccination as well. Okay so thats three shots so far. Well.....I decided he should probably have the Menigococcal vaccination also and Dr. Merkley said while we were at it we should probably give him a flu shot too. Thats five! He was freaking out by this time. Did I mention he doesn't like needles so much? Hahaha They also did a TB test on him and then did a finger poke for blood as well as drawing blood from his arm for blood typing. Hahahaha Thats eight pokes with a needle!!!! He was getting all whiney about it. Finally I said....Kade if you are a good boy and sit quietly while you have the shots I'll buy you an ice cream when we are finished. He looked at me and said, " I don't want ice cream! I want a new toy!!! Hahahaha Poor baby!!!! One of these days maybe I should talk to him about the HCG injections I had to have to get pregnant with him. Now that is a shot!!!!

2 comments:

Kyle & Shanna said...

Haha, I'd want a new toy too. That's a lot of needles for someone that doesn't like them. I love watching needles and my blood getting drawn, haha.

Nick, Kristen, Kaysen, Breklyn and Brayden said...

Poor Kade. :-) That sucks. I hate watching my kids get their immunizations and they only get like 4-5 pokes every time we go. Kaysen gets a dumb dumb sucker if he is good. :-)