Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Woodruff Cemetery

Several years ago Rory completed a cemetery directory for the Woodruff Cemetery for his eagle project. I still keep it up to date and make sure there are directories in the little box at the cemetery. He had so much help from Emerson Cox doing this project. Emerson knew so much about the people buried there and luckily he let us photocopy his information.
Because of my love for family history, I recently embarked on another little project that will go along with this. I want to find out about the people that are buried in the cemetery. Not just their names, but who they really were. Who there parents were, if they had siblings, why they died, do they still having family living in the area, etc. And lastly, I will take a photo of each grave marker. There are approximately 473 people buried in the cemetery right now so the project is going to take a little time but will be worthwhile I think. I plan on posting all of my information on the Find A Grave website when I am finished. Anyway, I just wanted to share a little bit of information I found while doing the research. Did you know. . .

The first person buried in the cemetery was Ann Preston Longhurst. She died in 1873 and left behind a husband and 8 children. The oldest child being 13.

Woodruff has had 10 mayors since its incorporation in 1935. Seven of those men are buried in the Woodruff Cemetery.

The name of Cornia wasn't the original family name. Peter Cournoyer immigrated to Utah from Canada and changed his name to Cornia when he did. He is buried in the Woodruff Cemetery.

Albert H. Dickson was the sheriff over the exectution of Pat Coughlin which took place near Woodruff. You can read about the execution and events that led up to it here http://www.prospector-utah.com/straw.htm

I love wandering through the cemetery and looking at the different headstones and remembering the people. I'm excited to get this project completed and posted for others looking for family history to use.

And speaking of family history.....I am the director for the family history library located in Randolph. So if you are itching to get going on your family history give me a call :)


5 comments:

Erin said...

That is neat that you are researching all those names. I bet that has been very interesting.

About the quilt, it was so easy. I'm not creative at all, my sister taught me the blanket that weekend. To start I cut the material and jeans in 8X8 blocks.

Northern Nuts! said...

This is really neat. Small town history is fun to read.

And Ryann pees outside too. She is usually naked and will pee anywhere at anytime. The funniest is when we were in the Wal-Mart parking lot and she dropped her drawers to pee!

Nick, Kristen, Kaysen, Breklyn and Brayden said...

I am way impressed. That is awesome what you are doing and what a feeling of accomplishment you will have when you are completed.

Thank you so much for your posts on my site. I really like to hear from people I have known my whole life. Your blog page is so cute and I love to read your stories. I hope you got my invitation to my blog page now that I have went private.

Kyle & Shanna said...

I love doing family history. Me and my sisters have all found some interesting stuff in our family history tree.

Nicole said...

That is a GREAT project my grandpa would be thrilled!! Please keep posting little tidbits here and there I will love to keep up on them.