Monday, March 23, 2009

Church History, Family History and great weather!!!

Kade has a cute little girlfriend that lives in Enterprise that we took him to see this past weekend. We decided that rather than hang out in Enterprise (which I have to admit doesn't have much more to do than Woodruff) for three days we would spend those days in St. George. Brian is a fan of KSL radio and recently heard them advertising a concert at the Tuacahn so we bought tickets for it. This is the first time that either of us had been to Tuacahn and it was awesome. The concert was by The Nashville Tribute Band. They have two cds out right now....Joseph - A Nashville Tribute to the Prophet and Trek - A Nashville Tribute to the Pioneers and are working on a third which will probably be along the lines of a Nashville Tribute to the missionaries. They played one song that will be included on it and I cried the whole time. But the concert was amazing and if you ever get the opportunity to hear them I would definitely recommend them. You can hear some of their music by going to their website. Nashville Tribute Band

Entrance



The Stage

We visited the site of the Mountain Meadow Massacre. Such a sad thing that happened there. I don't know if anyone will ever know for sure what the whole story is with it.



I have a great great great great grandmother that came to Utah and settled in Pine Valley near St. George. We were able to drive to that little community and visit her grave. She was such a great lady and gave up much to belong to the church. She buried three different husbands in her lifetime. I took pictures of her headstone and also of the little community where she lived and the chapel where she went to church. Isn't it such a cute little community nestled in the pine trees? I just loved it there. The wood for the pipes for the organ in the Tabernacle in Salt Lake came from this little valley.




We also visited the St. George Tabernacle. It is a beautiful building inside and full of lots of history. This is the pulpit that President Lorenzo Snow preached his famous "tithing" sermon from. The fold up chairs in the picture used to be in the Salt Lake Temple.





We also went and visited the beautiful St. Geroge Temple. I love seeing the different temples around the world. This one I think is especially beautiful at night.


It was a great weekend. We had beautiful weather and I enjoyed spending time with my wonderful hubby who caters to my history hobbies :)

3 comments:

Penny said...

How fun! I love to visit history places like that!
I wish the weather would stay warm, I am getting tired of the rollercoaster ride we are on! As I type this, it is snowing like crazy here...again! :(

Amanda and Kalon Downing said...

What a great idea. I think the Temple there is beautiful too. We always get to see it when we go to Kalon's rodeo down there, hopefully we can do a session next time we are there. What a wonderful way to spend a weekend, I think even better than shopping, and I love to shop!!! That is the best hobby to have.

Northern Nuts! said...

I love trips like this. Christopher's dad is from & is burried in Circleville, so once a year we try to make the trip and see a little history too.